From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
West Hunsbury is a large housing estate in the south of the town of Northampton, 2 miles (3 km) from the town centre, 1 mile (2 km) from the M1 motorway, junction 15A and 2 miles (3 km) from junction 15. It is part of the Hunsbury residential area, which also constitutes East Hunsbury east of Towcester Road. "Shelfleys" is the original name for the area and still appears on signs and maps. The area is part of the Borough of Northampton. The area was developed in the 1980s and 1990s as part of the expansion of Northampton.
There is a modern church, St Benedicts, Church of England, and shops including a small supermarket, estate agents, post office, pharmacy and a pub, "The Ironstone", in Hunsbury Hill Road. On the same site there is also a health centre. In the car park for the Hunsbury Hill Country Park there is now a small cafe called "The Drover's Return" named after the ancient Drover's Pathway which leads through the park
Opposite the shop area is an area of sheltered housing grouped around a small community centre used for social events and meetings. Hunsbury Hill is the site of an Iron Age hill fort, dating from ca. 400BC, the area is now part of Hunsbury Hill Country Park. The area around was also extensively mined for ironstone between 1880 and 1921 and a section of the railway used to transport the material remains in use for demonstration purposes together with a museum.