Buckinghamshire's tallest working windmill
|Mill name||Quainton Windmill|
|Operator(s)||Quainton Windmill Society|
|Number of sails||Four sails|
|Type of sails||Patent sails|
|Winding||Hand winded via chain and wheel|
|Number of pairs of millstones||One|
The 70 ft (20m) six-storey brick tower mill, built 1830–32, is one of the most visible buildings in the village. It was derelict for most of the 20th century it has now been restored and can grind wheat into flour. The windmill was built by James Anstiss and it is still owned by the Anstiss family. It is the tallest windmill in Buckinghamshire.
The mill had a steam engine installed early in its working life. Until 1881, it was wind-driven, but milling came to an end in 1900. The building remained unused as a mill, without a cap or sails, until 1974, when the owner formed the Quainton Windmill Society, with the aim of restoring the windmill. The Society spent 23 years undertaking restoration work. In 1997, milling was re-established.