The present Lighthouse is 43m high, is located about 165m seawards of the cliffs and entered operation in October 1902. It had taken two years to complete and involved building a coffer-dam and a cableway from the top of the cliffs to carry materials, including 3660 tons of Cornish granite, down to the site. The Light flashes twice every 20 seconds and can be seen up to 26 miles (42km) out to sea. For over 80 years the Light was permanently manned by 3 Lighthouse Keepers, but it was fully automated and de-manned in June 1983. It is now monitored 24 hours a day from the Trinity House Operations Control Centre at Harwich in Essex.